Tuesday, December 20, 2011

T'is the season to be chubby..falala

It's that time of the year...

Holidays are fast approaching... and my stomach is waking up. That means I have the worst cravings for food 24/7.

I really tried to portion control... but since I was 13 I could not control my appetite. I would devour food like no girl... or boy I knew for that matter. This is not unusual. It seems from the minute I came to earth I had an appreciation for food.

* so state my nicknames accumulated over the years: dumpling, spaghetti, horse... and the non food group : szmegul.

Any-who,

The past two days I was too tired to bake, but was craving sweets. Of course I was angry with myself for touching some added preservative American treats... such as cheesecake, croissants and hot chocolate.

I have been blessed with cooking skills and still manage to touch this garbage as opposed to making my own fresh batches...?

This is what got me baking today.

Christmas is approaching which got me thinking of my cultural background. I am Polish. What was traditional dessert from Poland...? Of course ! Jablecznik ( aka: Polish Apple Cake). So I slaved ( well rather enjoyed) myself in the kitchen for a few hours while listening to Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto to put me in the spirit...and voila with the final product.



Here is the recipe I used for it:




Ingredients:

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 + 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) soft butter + 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
4 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon cloves




Preparation:

 

 

 

 


















  1. Lightly coat a 13"x9" pan with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, milk and eggs. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes.
  2. Pour half the batter into prepared pan, then layer on half the apples. Spoon all but 1/2 cup of the remaining batter over the apples, covering completely. Place the remaining apples on top and dot the reserved 1/2 cup batter over the apples.
  3. Cut remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cloves into 3 tablespoons cold butter and sprinkle over the unbaked cake. Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
  4. Let the cake cool in the pan so the apple juices will be reabsorbed to create a moist cake. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired, and cut into 12 squares.


  1. Eat ! Smacznego! 

No comments:

Post a Comment